“Built in 1873, the Briggait building is an exciting new creative space for Glasgow.The city’s fishmarket for 100 years, it closed in the 1970s and lay neglected.
During the 1980s an attempt to turn the Briggait into a shopping centre failed and in 2001 Glasgow City Council allowed WASPS (an artist studio organisation) to relocate there temporarily while other studios were being redeveloped. The building proved popular with artists and the slow process of redevlopment began.
The end is now in sight. The Briggait has been transformed into 5,500 square metres of public and private space, including 68 workspaces for visual artists and cultural organisations, five shop units for let to creative industries and a beautiful new public space within the 1873 Courtyard.
Award-winning architects, Nicoll Russell Studios have made a fantastic job of blending contemporary features with the historic architecture of the building. Workspaces are distinctive in style and many incorporate original features such as Victorian roof trusses, arched windows and ornate portholes overlooking the River Clyde. We’re confident that artists will respond positively to the £6.5m development. Lettings begin in December 2009 and the courtyard will be open to the public from spring 2010.
A second phase to redevelop 4,000 square metres of derelict space within the site into workspaces for dance, circus, street arts and live arts is at the planning stage. Once complete, the Briggait will be devoted to the making of cross-artform work; as such, it will be the first venue of its kind in the UK.”
For more information visit www.thebriggait.org.uk